Removing qgis from Debian

As discussed in the recent bugreport [0], I'm considering removing qgis
from Debian because we cannot even support 2.14 LTR in the next stable
release.

Removing qgis from Debian is not in the interest of our users, one of
our core values in Debian. This puts us distribution developers between
a rock and a hard place. QGIS upstream does not manage transitions in
their dependencies, leaving the upstream QGIS packages uninstallable
after GDAL transitions. Only the qgis packages in Debian get rebuilt for
those transitions.

For the sake of my sanity I don't want to deal with the bullshit from
QGIS upstream any more. The promise to deal with osgEarth 2.7
compatibility and QtWebKit removal have turned out to empty. QGIS 2.14
LTR is still broken in Debian testing & unstable.

We're now forced to adopt the 2.16 non-LTR for its improved Qt5 support
to not have these bugs in the next stable release. I'm very unhappy
being forced into that suboptimal solution.

I'm coming to the conclusion that we cannot support qgis in Debian
stable releases, and should remove it from Debian to acknowledge that.
This will make a lot of users unhappy, so I'm not fond of that either.

By forcing users to rely on the upstream QGIS packages, their number may
have sufficient weight to force the QGIS developers to deal with
transitions in their Debian packages.

What do you think we should do with QGIS in Debian?

[0] https://bugs.debian.org/828031