Re: [Ubuntu] creating GRASS packages for UbuntuGIS

On 2016-01-13 10:19, Martin Landa wrote:
I put on GRASS trac wiki draft of how-to [1]. Any comments are very welcomed.

I don't have time for an extensive review of the draft right now, but some initial comments follow.

You should generally checkout release tags instead of branches.

The branches may contain additional changes that haven't been uploaded yet and may not be fit for release.

UbuntuGIS mostly contains backports (as indicated with the tilde version suffix) of package revisions uploaded to the Debian archive, which are just rebuilt for the Ubuntu LTS releases.

So instead of:

 git checkout -b ubuntugis/wily experimental

You should use:

 git checkout -b ubuntugis/wily debian/7.0.3.rc1-1.exp2

The above checkout is only appropriate to create the ubuntugis/wily branch, if the branch already exists you need to do a plain checkout (without -b and just the ubuntugis/wily branch name) and merge the changes from the debian tag you want to incorporate for UbuntuGIS.

Instead of using `dch -i` to create the new changelog entry, you should specify the version instead:

 dch -v 7.0.3~rc1-1~wily1

The default increment used by `dch -i` is not appropriate for UbuntuGIS backports.

git-buildpackage uses the debian/gbp.conf file in the source package to override its defaults, so you don't need to use --git-debian-branch=ubuntugis/$DIST when you've configured the gbp.conf properly.

When the packaging lives on a non-default branch (i.e. not master), you need to document the branch in the Vcs-Git URL and gbp.conf. See this commit for example:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/grass.git/commit/?h=experimental&id=a32ba58d0e41e41b3c4608a1ee4d926fecc96d18

I created building environment, see log [2] and build GRASS package
[3]. Unfortunately in logs I can't see any reference to UbuntuGIS PPA.
In pbuilde configuration I have

OTHERMIRROR="deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu $DIST
main"

Any idea what could be wrong? Martin

As mentioned before [0]:

"
The Get lines for ppa.launchpad.net are for the othermirror you specified.

There is only ossim for wily, most UbuntuGIS packages are for the LTS releases.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-unstable/+packages
"

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2016/01/msg00039.html

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/DebianUbuntuPackaging#GitworkflowusingtheGRASSspecificbranches
[2] http://geo102.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa/tmp/log.builder
[3] http://geo102.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa/tmp/log.packager

Did you notice the lintian warnings in your build log?

Specifically this one:

https://lintian.debian.org/tags/possible-new-upstream-release-without-new-version.html

You should not duplicate the changelog from the Debian package, you should mention that the revision is a rebuild for Ubuntu $DIST, i.e.:

 grass (7.0.3~rc1-1~wily1) wily; urgency=medium

   * Rebuild for wily.

  -- $DEBFULLNAME <$DEBEMAIL>  Tue, 12 Jan 2016 20:57:45 +0100