Re: JOSM backports and its negative effect on other packages

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Now that we finally have a new JOSM tested snapshot in Debian, we need
> to decide whether or not to maintain backports for it too. This was
> requests about two years ago in #705548, and the experience with the
> outdated JOSM 8159 in Debian for some time (popular plugins require more
> recent tested snapshots) show that there is a need for recent JOSM
> versions for stable users.
>
> Backporting JOSM also required backporting JMapViewer. The jmapviewer
> package in Debian is also a dependency on freeplane which tends to break
> with JMapViewer releases.

hello Bas,

yes, unfortunately the JMapViewer developers tend to break backwards
compatibility with almost every (minor) release :-/

Backporting JMapViewer (and thus Freeplane) to jessie would
involve backporting knopflerfish (which should be easy because no
other r-deps need to be fixed) and possibly (if Freeplane 1.6 will be
released in time) "insubstantial" (flamingo/substance/trident) as well,
which includes fixing several r-deps (which I consider to be a lot of
work!).

BTW: I will be away from my workstation from ~ 17.11.-8.12. (or even
until 15.12.). Do you want to upgrade JMapViewer in that time frame?

Cheers and Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter