Re: Debian GIS team sprint

On 08/18/2015 12:20 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> DebConf would have been a great opportunity to have a team sprint, but
> unfortunately most of us couldn't attend. I still think we should have a
> team sprint, preferably with upstream developers in attendence so an
> OSGeo event seems the best alternative to DebConf.
>
> The only OSGeo event I've attended was the last day of the C Tribe
> sprint in Vienna last year. This was far too sort, but very good none
> the less. I got to talk to many of the people we work with in person.
> Having upstream developers from several OSGeo projects in the same room
> was great, as I said on IRC I'd like to tag along with the Debian GIS
> team at one of the next events.
>
> I've been told that we're always welcome at the QGIS Hackfests, so
> that's a nice frequent opportunity too. FOSDEM is always a good
> opportunity too, but it's hard to get stuff done during FOSDEM, staying
> longer for a sprint is an option.
>
> Getting all the people interested in GRASS packaging in the same room is
> high on my wishlist for a sprint.
>
> Please share your your thoughts and suggestions for a sprint where we
> can meet in person and get stuff done.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bas

OSGeo & Qgis events is a good idea (although I've never been). I loved
Johan's OSGeo theme day at FOSDEM. But Bas is right, we need some quiet
time together. We could investigate a Brussels hotel/hackspace either
side of FOSDEM?

If we are mostly European, Andreas suggested Linux Tage in Chemnitz to
me in the past. I don't know how good that is for BoF time.

FSCONS in Goeteborg, Sweden was good last year. Easy for me to get to,
and much smaller (plenty of rooms to occupy).

Should we jot the known events on the wiki with dates and list who is
thinking of going?