Re: mapserver 7.0?

On 06/19/2015 11:20 PM, Sven Geggus wrote:
> reading about mapnik 3.0rc3 I was wondering about the state of Mapserver 7
> which has been at beta1 relase state for a few months now.
>
> I just cloned the git repo from alioth and to me it looks like the package
> is unfortunately still at 6.4.1
>
> I don't know how major the changes are at 7.0, but I was a bit surprised,
> that mapnik is available already in rc stage and mapserver is not.

While I'm quite aware of the availability of MapServer 7 pre-releases
via the mapserver-dev list, the simple reason that the package hasn't
been updated is that I didn't consider it pressing enough to devote my
time to already.

It's also unhelpful that there is no tarball for the 7.0.0 pre-releases
on download.osgeo.org which is what uscan monitors for new releases.
There was no constant reminder of the new upstream pre-release in DDPO
[1] & DMD [2].

We can easily switch to monitor the GitHub releases instead, but I
simply hadn't done that yet. MapServer development slowed down after
6.4.1 enough to not make me expect a 7.0 release any time soon despite
beta1 some months ago.

Maybe we can spur some actively by providing feedback based on the
packaging update to 7.0.0-beta1. So I've create experimental packaging
for mapserver 7.0.0-beta1 in git.

[1]
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-grass-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
[2]
https://udd.debian.org/dmd.cgi?email1=pkg-grass-devel%40lists.alioth.debian.org#todo

> Looks like they moved development to github:
> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/releases
>
> Let me know if I can help out.

The best thing to right now is to motivate the upstream developers to
publish a beta2 soon, and inquire into the estimations for the final
release.

You can also start testing the experimental mapserver packaging and the
related mapcache & tinyows package to see what changes they need to work
with mapserver 7.0.

There are still a number of patches included in the mapserver Debian
package, these need to be reviewed and forwarded upstream if applicable.

But first we need to resolve a nasty FTBFS, the build fails with bunch
of these:

 error: template with C linkage
 error: template specialization with C linkage