Re: SpatiaLite 4.2.1 and the wider spatialite family

On 05/23/2015 02:15 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> Because of the spatialite_init() issue reported #785091 and discussed
> elsewhere [1][2][3][4], I'd like to start the spatialite transition as
> soon as possible but there are a number of prerequisites to be met first:
>
>  * Transition from GDAL 1.10.1 to 1.11.2 [...]

There has been no feedback from the Release Team about the gdal
transition yet. Keep an eye on #756867 for progress.

https://bugs.debian.org/756867

>  * Fix the libspatialite SONAME to not decrement. One of the FTP
>    masters raised this issue before accepting the package into
>    experimental [7]. I'll forward the fix for inclusion in the final
>    SpatiaLite 4.2.1 release. The package will then have to pass NEW
>    again which is painfully slow since the freeze although it started
>    picking up speed again recently.

A patch has been added, but it's not enable yet to prevent having to
pass the NEW queue again. The patch has also been forwarded upstream.

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/spatialite.git/tree/debian/patches/14-soversion.patch?h=experimental

> While I prefer to first do the spatialite transition because of its
> limited scope, having to wait for the final release and passing NEW
> again won't make that likely. After patching the SONAME issue in
> spatialite 4.2.1~rc1 I'll get the gdal transition moving again.
>
> I have considered reverting back to spatialite 4.2.0 for unstable, but
> so far prefer to wait for the final 4.2.1 release. I may have to
> reconsider this after the gdal transition.

There won't be a final SpatiaLite 4.2.1 release, because of the many
changes accumulated in the upstream repository. SpatiaLite 4.3.0 will be
released as soon as possible instead. See:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/spatialite-users/Xk7o4h1Iss8/1RjjtJkyCEwJ

> With the changes in spatialite (4.2.1~rc1-1~exp5) pyspatialite
> successfully builds again, some private symbols are required for its
> build. pyspatialite still needs to be ported to stop using the
> deprecated spatialite_init() method, which will likely need to be
> contributed because upstream doesn't look very active anymore.

The spatialite_init_ex() changes from the pyspatialite embedded copy in
QGIS are included in pyspatialite (3.0.1-7) and will soon be available
in unstable.

The changes have also been forwarded upstream:

https://github.com/lokkju/pyspatialite/issues/24
https://github.com/lokkju/pyspatialite/issues/25