Re: How to collaborate?

Em Ter, 2015-05-26 às 22:02 +0200, Johan Van de Wauw escreveu:
> On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Ross Gammon <ross@the-gammons.net> wrote:
> > Hi Matheus,
> >
> > On 05/24/2015 05:41 AM, YunQiang Su wrote:

> Hello Matt,
>
> Thanks for your interest in the Debian GIS project!
> There are indeed many ways to contribute to Debian GIS. Most are
> related to packaging - that is mainly what we do, but translations,
> documentation and testing of the packages are also important.
> My personal itch is trying to get as much of OSGeo Live[1] packaged in Debian.
>
> For packaging itself, the documentation may be overwhelming at first.
> It took all of us a while to understand all of it - but don't worry
> once you get the basic concepts it will go fast.
>
> Perhaps you should give some more information on what project you
> would like to see in Debian? You say you have some programming
> experience - do you have a favourite language?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Johan
> [1] http://live.osgeo.org/

Sorry for the delay. My dog got some health issues that I'm trying to
solve.
Anyway...
I like to work mostly with C and C++.
As a matter of fact, my objective was to bring all of the OSGeoLive
packages to Debian as well. I'm actually in their mail list for the
OSGeo Live 9. They were talking about choosing Ubuntu 14.04 because of
the stability. I'm not a OS expert but, in my experience, Debian is way
far more stable than Ubuntu (again, just my personal experience).
I've got an interesting program to suggest:
- SPRING - http://www.dpi.inpe.br/spring/english/index.html
It's a brazilian software made in partnership with a french company.
The utility for vectorization of raster files (to dfx, for example)
works faster and better than other GIS softwares (the ones that utilize
GDAL).

As soon as I solve the health issues of my old pal, I'll get back to the
learning process of packing to help in the DebianGIS project.
For now you can keep me updated of the docs and translation processes. I
would gladly give a hand on that matter.

Att,
Matt.