Re: status of the opencpn PPA for inclusion in Debian

On 2015-03-21 20:38:58, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-03-21 at 15:45 -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that's weird. I haven't investigated why it happened...
>
> https://packages.qa.debian.org/w/wxwidgets2.8.html
> https://packages.qa.debian.org/w/wxwidgets2.8/news/20141021T163919Z.html
> https://bugs.debian.org/748169
> https://bugs.debian.org/762062

Makes sense.

TLDR; 2.8 was deliberately removed from jessie and is being kept from
entering back because it is unmaintained upstream. I guess the remaining
question is why it's even still in sid. :)

>> Maybe we can have the two packages diverge (between ubuntu and Debian)
>> at that level. Eventually, those differences would go away as 3.0 gets
>> propagated everywhere...
>
> Maybe with some macros and ifdefs you could default to wx 3.0 but allow
> compiling with wx 2.8?

>From what I understand, it can easily be built against 3.0 already. It
may even autodetect whatever is there already.

>> I am not sure. Maybe other DDs (in CC) can provide feedback here, but I
>> would recommend providing a smaller tarball with only the OpenCPN source
>> code. First it takes up less space on all the mirrors, and second it
>> will make the FTP master's job easier.
>>
>> But my gut feeling is that binaries without source *will* be a problem,
>> even if the software is free (like say wxWidgets).
>
> Yes, that will be a problem. I would suggest doing this:
>
> Strip all the binaries and embedded code/data copies from your VCS
> repository (git/svn/cvs/etc).
>
> Automate the source tarball build process with the `make distcheck`
> target of autotools/cmake etc and just create a source tarball
> (opencpn-1.0.tar.xz) with no binaries or embedded code/data copies.
>
> Automate the Windows build process and have it download the requisite
> binaries at build time. Or if you prefer a Windows build without network
> build access, create a script to download the Windows binaries and put
> those in an opencpn-win32-dev.zip file that people can just unzip in the
> right place before starting the build. If a second unzip step is too
> much for people, you could produce a source tarball for the Linux
> distros and a source tarball with all the binaries for Windows folks.
> Personally I think Windows users probably don't want the source, they
> would just want the compiled binaries.

You said it brother, that is pretty much what I was thinking of. :)

Thanks for your feedback pabs!

a.

--
Les plus beaux chants sont les chants de revendications
Le vers doit faire l'amour dans la tête des populations.