Re: GIS Policy - How to contribute

Hi Ross,

On 10/26/2014 06:46 PM, Ross Gammon wrote:
> Thanks for tidying up after me in the Policy :-)

You're welcome. I'm always happy to see others contribute to the team
policy. There is still more to document, but haven't gotten around to
yet. Like adding a section documenting how to contribute to the policy
document itself. :-)

> I also thought it would be a good idea to add more text for newbie
> contributors based around adding package description translations,
> adding Debtags, and uploading screenshots. This can be done on the Blend
> Task pages.

Yes, that's a good idea. The policy has so far focused mostly on the
technical aspects of package maintenance. The git packaging workflow is
mostly documented, but there still some more to do.

> I was thinking of making the "Contributing" section on the policy more
> generic (along the lines of what I just wrote above), and then move the
> current bit on ddtp.debian.net to the "Tasks" page, and add more details
> about the Debtags & screenshots.

Documenting how to contribute to package description translations,
Debtags, screenshots, etc should be added to the "How to Contribute"
section. It is a natural addition to the paragraphs about translations.

The "Tasks" page documents the Debian GIS Blend tasks files. It should
not be confused with generic tasks, i.e. things to do, for members of
the team.

Maybe we should clarify this in the title by renaming it to "Blend Tasks"?

The "Introduction" page documents what the Debian GIS team is and what
we do, how to join and contribute.

After the essential readings the rest of the policy documents the best
practices for performing the various tasks in the team. Currenly mostly
focused on the packaging.

> You might need to help with the linking & sections again. Sound okay?

I like the proposed additions so please go ahead with the above in mind.

To help with the Docbook XML syntax you can find all elements documented
on its website:

http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/

In the commonly used policy style commands should be tagged as such by
wrapping it <command> tags (including subcommands, but not options and
arguments), and package names using <literal> tags.

Max length of paragraph content is 80 characters, and XML children are
indented with 2 spaces.

> Cheers,
>
> Ross

 GPG Key ID: 4096R/E88D4AF1