Re: Copyright of debian/* in proj?

> On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 09:22:25AM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> There never was copyright claimed on the debian directory, and dep5
>> recommended to leave this out when converting to dep5 format.
>
> Really?  I never checked this part but it seems totally unlogical to me.
> A "Files: *" section usually claims copyright for upstream and without
> having a "Files: debian/*" the debian/ dir inherits the same copyright
> as upstream which IMHO does not make sense since even I tend to use the
> same license the copyright owner is different, right?

Policy requires that the upstream copyright is documented, but not the
Debian packaging (although the examples document debian/* too).

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dreq.en.html#copyright

The ftp-master HOWTO links from the policy states:

"
- Ideally you include a license statement for your Debian packaging
  also.
"

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html

With the new lintian checks that complain about no copyright for files
under debian/, it's probably best to always document the license for
debian/* too, despite this being optional historically.

Because the licensing for debian/* in the proj package was never
documented, I hope that Peter and/or Francesco can tell me which license
they intented to use.

>> Now that proj-datumgrid-1.6RC1 ships binary grids instead of the .lla
>> source that needs to be build as part of proj, we could move the
>> datumgrids to their own package and have proj-data depend on it.
>
> Fine for me.  Just ping me if I should upload

For this revision I'd like to keep the datumgrids as part of the proj
package. Splitting this out into its own package I'll keep in mind before
uploading proj 4.9.0 final.

The datumgrids-ch are not part of the upstream proj-datumgrid tarballs, so
that will remain a Debian customization. And its gsb files are the reason
for the relatively large debian directory.