Re: deadline coming soon for OpenCPN

Hi Antoine,

On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 03:58:45PM -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:

> > Yes.  I typically use in d/rules
> >
> > get-orig-source:
> > 	uscan --verbose --force-download --repack --comress xz
> >
> > and list all files (with wildcards) in d/copyright under
> >
> >    Files-Excluded
> >
> > This saves you the work of creating all times the same code just to
> > remove files from upstream source tarball.
>
> This will not recreate the same tarball reproducible. Unless there's
> something I don't know well about xzip / tar.

That's correct.

> >> I don't think it's okay - it doesn't even build at that stage,
> >> especially because we strip so much off the tarball.
> >
> > I'd only strip files which are considered non-free (and perhaps some
> > files that might be only useful at non-Linux/non-BSD systems).
>
> Even then, it's a lot of files.

Yes, but that's no difference to several other projects.

> Well, the reality is that upstream did very little packaging work, and
> probably have a wildly divergent opinion of what is acceptable in the
> Debian package.

And for this purpose it is better to let them do this work guided by
experienced packagers.

> >> Ugh.. pristine-tar... Why do we need this if we're going to strip out
> >> half the tarball anyways?
> >
> > I'm talking about the resulting tarball you get with the uscan above.
> > Specifically when using stripped (non-original with same MD5SUM as you
> > can download) it makes sense that all packagers can fetch easily a
> > (byte) identical source tarball which is only possible with
> > pristine-tar.  I see no need to inject the downloadable tarball if
> > things wil lbe removed anyway.
>
> the get-orig-source should be doing this reproducibly, I think. It's
> what the current target I wrote does.

Well, than simply leave out --repack --compress xz which creates a
reproducible tarball.  However, since pristine-tar gives the option to
share the same tarball between all developers and you loose md5sum
compatibility to upstream anyway it usually makes sense to use a better
compression to reduce space and badnwidth of all our Debian mirrors.  As
far as I understood this seems to be some consensus in a large group of
developers.  (I do not insist on this and spending time in discussing
these basic things will simply cutting from the main packaging work -
just telling you what is established practice in all teams I'm involved
in.)

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--