Re: [Live-demo] Let's bring the OSGeo live packages to debian!

Hi All -

  As I have said before, I believe that a better future can be made
about by creating an OSGeo-backed repository as a reference source for
the Live..

  A repository has to have *all* of: long term commitment, public
trust, and technical execution.

  I believe that OSGeo can bring together the ingrediants to maintain
a long-term repository, and crucially, to prepare for new systems in
the future.. Before responding, please consider these critical factors:

  * Java is increasingly significant, and has its own ways of dealing
with community, distributions and versioning, outside of any legacy
repository systems

  * Javascript libraries are quickly moving, and related to massive
browser projects and massive hosting infrastructure,
outside of any legacy repositories

  * as the joke goes, the Debian package format is terrible, except
that it is better than any other of even-more terrible packaging
systems. I believe that new innovation in systems will bring lighter
and more facile ecosystems in the future, and the OSGeo Live should be
ready for this and embrace it

  thank you very, very much for the packaging, and, simply pouring all
results into Debian GIS will not bring about the long-term evolution
that is being seen now, in my opinion

  once again, please consider these points, all of them, before responding

  best regards from Portland FOSS4G
  Brian M Hamlin

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 21:48:29 +0200, Johan Van de Wauw