Re: libhdf4

Hello everyone,

In the meantime I've been taking a closer look to this package, and
packaged the new version in git. However I'm still hitting a few
issues and hope someone can give me some advice on how to proceed,
especially since we are closer to the freeze.
The current package will fail to build on arm64 so it will have an RC
bug. In any case it seems better to me to use the new version as a
basis.

What I already did:
* update to version 4.2.10 (fixes build on arm64)
* add a watchfile
* updated the package so it can work with the original sources instead
of a tarball containing the original sources (and a procedure to
create that file). Now uscan can be used to get the source
* Imported and reviewed the changes from ubuntu
* Added autoreconf/libtoolize
* Some other cleanup

Things that still need to be done
* hardening: hardening is not yet applied. I thought they were in the
rules file from doko  but it is not. If I do enable it properly (by
removing the if clauses around them), I get errors building the
testsuite.
* IA64: the upstream changelog mentions that this platform is no
longer available. Unfortunately I could not find a vcs where I could
see what actually changed. We should definitely check if we can still
build on this platform.
* Standards: I still have to check if there are changes needed apart
from bumping the version
* Perhaps something silly: in my build I wanted to do:
cp -a !(debian|HDF$(RELEASE)) HDF$(RELEASE)
but since dash is used this does not work. I used
rsync -a --exclude debian --exclude HDF$(RELEASE) . HDF$(RELEASE)
as an alternative, but that means an extra build dependency
If anyone has a proper alternative without rsync, feel free to change it.

Since libhdf4 is quite architecture dependent I would actually like to
send a package to experimental asap, so at least we know if/where it
FTBFS.

Johan