Re: Please be verbose whether you would like to get your Blend promoted by tasksel

On 08/26/2014 03:10 PM, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> I've not installed debian for a long time, so what are the implications?
> That during the installation one can choose to install a "GIS
> desktop". I think this makes sense for desktop but less for servers:
> would choosing GIS server mean that you install mapserver, mapnik,
> geoserver (suppose it is packaged), ... ? I think in reality one would
> rather install only one server package.

The implications are that the Debian GIS Blend tasks are available at
install time in d-i. This allows users to get the full fledged
gis-workstation task installed while setting up the system.

You can install the gis-tasks package in Debian sid to have the GIS
tasks available when you manually run tasksel.

I agree that we need to tune the tasks a bit more than we do now.
Curently the "GIS server" task as you describe it doesn't really exists,
we have the web task that includes MapServer, MapCache, Routino,
TileCache, TileLite, TileStache, TWMS & TinyOWS. Having multiple
tileserver implementations may be a bit overkill, but it does allow the
user to try the various options.

We can introduce new more fine tuned tasks for the MapServer Suite, and
one for the GeoServer ecosystem. But if you know what you want you're
not really the target audience for tasksel. When I install Debian I
don't even select the standard task to get the most minimal system after
which I install only want I need. While less experienced users can
install the Mail server tasks to get a working SMTP server while I
explicitly install postfix.

 GPG Key ID: 4096R/E88D4AF1