Re: OpenStreetMap Software

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 04:08:19AM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 02/27/2014 04:26 PM, Jochen Topf wrote:
> > * Osmosis - This Java program is used often in OSM circles for many tasks. It
> >   used to be in Debian but has fallen out of testing for some reason.
>
> To follow up on the OSM PBF packaging, I've had a stab at packaging that
> latest osmosis upstream release.
>
> The new gradle build system is a bit painful to use, but it works.
>
> I've patched the build to use the package java libraries instead of
> those from Maven Central. The maven-repo-helper is true to its name and
> very helpful. :-)

Awesome! Thanks for making this work.

> Jochen, can you have a look at the new package to see if it also works
> for you?
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-grass/osmosis.git
>
> I can convert OSM XML to PBF with the new package, but I haven't tried
> any advanced features yet.

I just committed two changes:
* Fixed line endings in log4j.properties
* Updated man page

Also there is one problem I can see: The osmosis binary doesn't know its own
version. There is some magic in build.gradle that figures out the version
string from the git tag/commit. For some reason this generates an empty
VERSION string in the Debian built. You can see the result when calling

osmosis -v

Built from normal source you get something like this:

Apr 08, 2014 7:58:38 PM org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis run
INFO: Osmosis Version 0.43.1-11-gfa8ff0e-SNAPSHOT

But the Debian built says this:

Apr 08, 2014 8:02:34 PM org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis run
INFO: Osmosis Version

This can also be seen when looking at OSM XML files generated from Osmosis.
They are missing the version number, too:
<osm version="0.6" generator="Osmosis ">

I don't understand why this is not working. Calling the git command from
build.gradle manually, it works (although it will work on the Debian
repository instead of the Osmosis repository, so it might show the wrong
thing anyway).

I haven't checked much apart from the above.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen@remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-721-388298