Re: osmpbf package

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 03:00:47PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> For me it makes perfectly sense if you focus on upstream but maintaining
> a "competing" debian/ dir without beeing familiar with Debian packaging
> stuff is a way of thinking I can not follow.  Why exactly do you want to
> repeat a work which is done by somebody else by at the same time
> confirming that you can not do a better job than this somebody else?

I can understand that upstream are generally interested in maintaining
multi-releases flavors of the same source package+debian scripts (see for
instance the qgis case) which has little or no sense at all for Debian main
archive.

At the same time, I see nothing complicated at all in having
an upstream-debian/ folder (and possibly also more than one) within
the upstream source and some silly makefile target to do basically
a 'make debian', prepare a useful link to the right folder and build
by useful target. As an upstream sometimes I also add some useful
--enable-debian flag for autotools and similar variants exactly
with the goal of customzing easily some aspects of the programs.