Re: osmpbf package

Hi Jochen,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 02:22:00PM +0100, Jochen Topf wrote:

> I don't want to live without the debian directory in the upstream repository,
> because it is so much easier to work with it than with the complex Debian
> setup.

Without having had a look into any of this:  Could you please explain
what exactly is easier / complex in both setups?

> If we want more people to help with Debian packaging we need to keep
> this simple.

I think there is no point in having *more* people doing packaging
outside Debian.

> For the time being I see myself focusing more on upstream. This might change
> in the future as I get more familiar with the Debian packaging stuff.

For me it makes perfectly sense if you focus on upstream but maintaining
a "competing" debian/ dir without beeing familiar with Debian packaging
stuff is a way of thinking I can not follow.  Why exactly do you want to
repeat a work which is done by somebody else by at the same time
confirming that you can not do a better job than this somebody else?

> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package libosmpbf-java: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package libosmpbf-dev: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
>
> Don't know whether that was the right thing to do.

This warning can generally be ignored.

> I have pushed all changes to upstream and created a v1.3.2 release.

Thanks for your cooperation anyway since this is really appreciated

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de