Re: OpenStreetMap Software

On Do, Mär 06, 2014 at 09:23:41 +0100, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 03/06/2014 08:56 AM, Jochen Topf wrote:
> > I have committed my changes. Not sure about the docs, though. Maybe docs
> > should be added only in built form? There is a Makefile in doc/styles.
>
> Building documentation should happen in de architecture independent
> targets (build-indep). These targets are skipped for binary only builds.
>
> Documentation in the source should be in its preferred form for
> modification, and converted to the desired format for consumption during
> the build process.
>
> > How does it work when there is a new upstream version? Is the "upstream"
> > branch updated automatically? I am still unclear about the differences
> > between "upstream" and "pristine-tar". Maybe somebody can explain this
> > to me.
>
> The upstream branches don't track the upstream repository, so they are
> not updated automatically. When a new upstream release happens, its
> imported into git using git-import-orig. See:
>
> http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-new-upstream
>
> The upstream branch contains the upstream source, after repacking when
> necessary (non-free files, large convenience code copies, …).
>
> Upstream sources are kept (in plain, uncompressed form) in the upstream
> branch.
>
> The pristine-tar branch contains the data necessary to recreate an
> original tarball from the repository with a reproducible checksum.
>
> The data needed to regenerate original source tarballs from the upstream
> branch are kept with the help of the pristine-tar tool in the
> pristine-tar branch.
>
> The master branch contains the full source package.
>
> Upstream sources are merged with Debian-specific changes in the master
> branch, which is the usual place to work in.
>
> http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/repositories.html#git-repository
>
> I suggest to create a test package and walk through the packaging cycle
> to get a feel for the tools and workflow.

Thanks for trying to explain all this. It all seems much too complex for my
small brain.

For starters I'll fiddle around with the "master" branches and either commit
things I am sure about or put them somewhere else for you all to integrate
after you have looked them over. I am not good with "toy" projects, I am sure
I'll learn more "on the job" eventually.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen@remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-721-388298