Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 11:40:23 +0100
From: Julien Malik <julien.malik@c-s.fr>
To: "Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org>, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini@faunalia.it>
CC: Sebastien Dinot <sebastien.dinot@c-s.fr>, Michel Julien <Julien.Michel@cnes.fr>, Victor Olaya <volayaf@gmail.com>, Giovanni Manghi
	<giovanni.manghi@faunalia.pt>
Subject: Re: OTB&QGIS

Hello all,

Definitely we are in better shape now on the packaging side.
End of last week we have add a first working package for Ubuntu
precise+saucy.
I will dedicate some time this week to push this to launchpad, and see
if that works also for Ubuntu releases in-between.
This package is done with both external ITK and external ossim.
The debian files are in [1] and [2].

On the debian front, the ossim package is way too much outdated. That is
a blocker.
But the work is already done in Ubuntu : the package from ubuntugis can
be used as a starter.
It is 1.8.16.

ITK can probably be used in its current state.
We have add some issues with dependencies conflict in Ubuntu (tiff and
hdf5), but it appears they don't apply on Debian.

>From my POV, the work for pushing it to Debian is :
- Update ossim package to latest release
- Start from [2] and see what happens in Debian
- Patch as needed...

Thanks for your interest in pushing OTB to Debian !

Regards,
Julien

[1]
http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB-DevUtils/file/40a81ad2c0a2/Packaging/ubuntu/ITK/debian