Re: OpenStreetMap tile rendering stack in debian-gis

On 04/18/2013 08:15 AM, Hamish wrote:
Kai wrote:
currently it is not easily possible to set up a map
rendering tile stack with only official debian packages for
the default OSM tile rendering stack (mod_tile, renderd,
osm2pgsql), as not everything is packaged or is a little out
of date.

Hi Kai,

while it is more of an effort to "make it work" than a propper
packaging effort, much of what you list is installed on the
OSGeo Live DVD, based on xUbuntu 12.04.  http://live.osgeo.org

install scripts are here:
  http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/
Thanks for the link.

For Ubuntu, I already maintain a PPA that has mod_tile / renderd and osm2pgsql packages [1].
For mapnik there is also a separate PPA [2]
And for Tilemill there is yet another PPA [3]

But I would rather prefer not to have to redirect people to use PPAs or Live DVDs to get a working tile rendering stack setup for mod_tile. Which is why I would like to get these into the proper debian (and Ubuntu) repositories. Particularly as all three of the PPAs have Mapnik included and partly in different versions, making the three PPAs incompatible with each other.

Kai

(n.b. I'll probably retire Gosmore and Osmarender in the next
release unless something new happens)

aka, if someone helps build the stack, we'll make good use of it!

hope it helps,
Hamish

[1] https://launchpad.net/~kakrueger/+archive/openstreetmap <https://launchpad.net/%7Ekakrueger/+archive/openstreetmap> [2] https://launchpad.net/~mapnik/+archive/v2.1.0 <https://launchpad.net/%7Emapnik/+archive/v2.1.0> [3] https://launchpad.net/~developmentseed/+archive/mapbox/ <https://launchpad.net/%7Edevelopmentseed/+archive/mapbox/>