Re: How to use debian-gis in Linux Mint Debian Edition

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 09:31:04AM -0300, Andrés Silva wrote:
> Hi everyone, I am migrating from Ubuntu to Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)
> and I need to install several GIS programs. In Ubuntu I used the ubuntugis
> repository, in LMDE I suppose I may use the debian-gis repository. But, how
> can I do that?

In Debian GIS is maintaining some metapackages.  You get their names via

$ LANG="" apt-cache search gis- | grep ^gis
gis-gps - GPS related programs
gis-osm - OpenStreetMap related programs
gis-statistics - Statistics with geographical data
gis-tasks - Debian GIS tasks for tasksel
gis-web - Present geographic information using web features
gis-workstation - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) workstation

and you can have an overview about their content at

   http://blends.alioth.debian.org/gis/tasks

You can simply install the packages and get all their dependencies in
one rush.

In case you might observer the following things:

  1. Packages in ubuntugis are missing in Debian
  2. Packages you are looking for are inside Debian but
     are missing in the metapackages dependencies
  3. You are considering the dependencies of the metapackages
     as not fitting your purpose properly

... just let us know.

Kind regards and have fun with Debian GIS

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de