Re: Getting hdf5 1.8.7-2~exp7 into Ubuntu 12.04

On Nov 8, 2011, at 8:43 AM, Blair Zajac wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A little background, ILM and Sony Imageworks recently open-sourced a shared project, Alembic, for exchanging computer graphic scenes [1].  Alembic uses HDF and is only qualified to use HDF 1.8.7 [2].
>
> In the mean time, I'm trying to get Imageworks to move from Fedora 13 to the upcoming Ubuntu 12.04 LTS release and Ubuntu currently has HDF5 1.8.4.  If we move to 12.04 then I would need to package up 1.8.7 myself for Alembic unless it can be updated.  Ubuntu is freezing for Debian syncs in late December.

BTW, I'm an open-source developer myself, a MacPorts maintainer, contribute to svn, scala-migrations, etc, so I don't mean to step on any toes, just wanting to see an Ubuntu release that supports our company.

How can I help, is there anything I can do?

Taking a step back, what is the plan to start the transition to unstable?  Are the new hdf5 packages being planned for wheezy?

Regards,
Blair