Re: RFS: RSL - Radar Software Library

On 07/26/2011 10:51 AM, Andy Spencer wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "RSL".
>
> * Package name    : rsl
>   Version         : 1.41
>   Upstream Author : NASA/TRMM Office <help@radar.gsfc.nasa.gov>
> * URL             : http://trmm-fc.gsfc.nasa.gov/trmm_gv/software/rsl/
> * License         : LGPL
>   Programming Lang: C
>   Description     : TRMM Radar Software Library
>
> RSL is a library produced by the NASA TRMM Satellite Validation Office
> and used to access several radar file formats. It can generated images
> directly or be used to load data files for other programs.
>
> It can read the following file formats: WSR88D/NEXRAD, Lassen, Sigmet,
> McGill, UF, HDF, RAPIC, RADTEC and the native RSL file format.
>

> The package appears to be lintian clean, with the exception of an rpath
> error from linking to libhdf.
>
> Further information about the Debian package can be found here:
>
>   Debian Bug: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=604189
>   Git Repo:   git://git.debian.org/debian-science/packages/rsl.git
>   Gitweb:     http://git.debian.org/?p=debian-science/packages/rsl.git

Hi,
I can't sponsor your package but I have a comment:
This copyright notice looks non-free:

edge_to_radar.c:
** COPYRIGHT NOTICE
**
**	Copyright (c) 1997 by Enterprise Electronics Corporation
**	All Rights Reserved
**
** This program is  copyright  by  Enterprise  Electronics  Corpora-
** tion,    Enterprise,  Alabama,  USA  36330 (334) 347-3478.  It is
** licensed for  use  on  a  specific  CPU   and   is  not    to  be
** transferred  or otherwise divulged.   Copies  or modifications of
** this program must carry this copyright notice.

I don't think it can be distributed with this file in the source.

Best Regards,
Julian Taylor