installing gdal-- stupid question

Dear Debian-GIS,

first off, my apologies for asking this very stupid question. I have tried searching the list, but as there is no "search" function, had to do so manually -- leading me to now contact you directly.

I want to install gdal on a "lenny" machine, for use with R.

sudo apt-get install gdal gives:
E: Couldn't find package gdal

(same for GDAL, gis, GIS, gis-gdal, pkg-gdal, gdal-dev, ...)

Eventually, I was able to install gdal-bin. BUT this did not install gdal-conf, so I cannot install the R-package rgdal.

How should I install gdal and related files?

Yours,

+glenn

--
  Here miracles become marvels, and

  Dr. Glenn Lawyer
  +352 661 967 244
  Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik
  Computational Biology and Applied Algorithmics
  Campus E1 4
  66123 Saarbrücken, Germany
  http://bioinf.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~lawyer