Re: installing gdal-- stupid question

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:01:45 +0200, Dr. Glenn Lawyer wrote:

> Dear Debian-GIS,

Hello,

> first off, my apologies for asking this very stupid question. I have
> tried searching the list, but as there is no "search" function, had to
> do so manually -- leading me to now contact you directly.
>
> I want to install gdal on a "lenny" machine, for use with R.
>
> sudo apt-get install gdal gives:
> E: Couldn't find package gdal
>
> (same for GDAL, gis, GIS, gis-gdal, pkg-gdal, gdal-dev, ...)

You shouldn't try random names. Try instead:

$ apt-cache search gdal
dans-gdal-scripts - GDAL contributed tools by Geographic Information Network of
Alaska gdal-bin - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Utility programs
libgdal-doc - Documentation for the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal-perl - Perl bindings to the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal-ruby1.8 - Ruby 1.8 bindings to the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal-ruby - Ruby bindings to the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal1-1.7.0 - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal1-dev - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library - Development files
python-gdal - Python bindings to the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
libgdal1-1.7.0-grass - GRASS extension for the GDAL library
qlandkartegt - GPS mapping (GeoTiff and vector) and GPSr management
libgdal1-1.6.0-grass - GRASS extension for the GDAL library
libgdal1-1.6.0 - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
$

> Eventually, I was able to install gdal-bin. BUT this did not install
> gdal-conf, so I cannot install the R-package rgdal.

Install libgdal1-dev.

Kindly,
David

--