Re: [DebianGIS] Ping: Changes in Debian GIS Blend stuff

[Andreas Tille]
> Probably not only you.  I noticed that Petter was updating the
> tasks/workstation file 8 days ago.  Petter, do you see any
> reasonable was to coordinate.

I assume s/was/way/.

Note, that as far as I know, the tasks/workstation file is part of the
draft debian-gis meta package I wrote several years ago, and which
have been largely untouched since then.  I stumbled across the live CD
build part of the meta package a few days ago, did a test build and
fixed some minor issues to get the live CD building, announced the new
live CD and got tips about an alternative live CD and put some of the
packages in the package list from that live CD into the debian-gis
package.  All of this was a stunt triggered by me finding the old live
CD build directory, and is unlikely to result in any regular work on
my part.

I created the meta package to show what direction we could take the
Debian GIS project in, but never had time to follow up on it and
no-one else seemed to trigger on the idea of providing a meta package
for GIS tools.

I am regularly busy with other projects, and am unlikely to be able to
spend serious time on the gis tools because of this.  This make me
want others to decide how the meta package should be maintained in the
future.  Is it wanted?  Useful?  Worth the effort?  I do not know, but
others need to answer yes to these for the package to move forward.

> As I wrote: I do not really wanted to highjack and I'm fine with
> maintaining the tasks files inside pkg-grass.  So if you think this
> is the best solution I even might subscribe pkg-grass - perhaps
> granting commit permissions fo any DD would be easier (we have this
> for Debian Med and Blends, you can ask Alioth admins for this).

I suspect giving you write access to the pkg-grass alioth project is a
good way to grant you access while still being able to give non-Debian
Developers access to the source.

> Well, IMHO the most comparable thing with the tasks web pages is
>
>    http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/debiangis-status.html

Perhaps this is a better way to maintain the task list?  We could
maintain the meta package and get the status page for free. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen