[DebianGIS] Fwd: grass from .deb, gdal from source?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@eku.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I discovered (with help from the grass help list) a small bug in gdal,
> already reported and fixed in the latest gdal sources. Now I'm wondering
> how best to acquire the fixed version of gdal. Can I compile it from
> source and continue to use the version of Grass 6.4 provided as a Debian
> package, or will I have to purge all the Debian packages and build both
> Grass and gdal from source?

The common way we do these things is to download source package
(apt-get source <package>), add the patch to 'debian/patch' directory
using 'dpatch' and recompile the package using 'pbuilder'.
Since it is only a bug in gdal library, all You need is rebuilding 'gdal'.

Ivan