Re: [DebianGIS] QGIS package [was: Re: ncview]

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 01:47:59AM -0700, Hamish wrote:

> frankie@debian wrote:
> > Mainly policy compliance and setting up the required framework to manage
> > smooth plugins updates. I already sent a message about that on the
> > qgis-dev list. No answers at my knowledge...
>

> Then I would suggest to send .deb version a.b.c-0 to sid/experimental with
> plugins (or plugin updates) disabled. This could get the bulk of the non-
> plugin packaging issues dealt to and perhaps motivate others to help
> with plugin needs.
>
> Do the qgis plugins have a firefox-like addon update structure?? (eek)
> If so, can we ship a static snapshot of them? I'd prefer to keep things
> in main and just deal with some things being out of date, but perhaps
> the volatile repo is another option. Moving targets and external downloads
> will not help to get it packaged quickly..

I'm mainly worried by the currently volatile interface for plugins (python or what else),
so that a per package interface in Provides: should be included with Qgis. It at least
would avoid recurrent breakages due to misversioning. Better doing that soon that later.
I'm not sure if third-parties plugins will be available any time soon, but I would
prefer a defensive approach on that regards.