[DebianGIS] HDF4 changes, update.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 06:00:17PM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> If your code uses only C functions there's nothing to do, but for
> changing your build-dep into
>
> libhdf4-dev | libhdf4g-dev
>
> and rebuild. Note that libhdf4-dev also provides/replaces/conflicts
> the old libhdf4g-dev so the transition should be smooth.

I added a transitional libhdf4g-dev package, so that I will call
a binNMU to force the transition to the new lib. Of course, still
changing the build-dep will be nice. I would avoid to distribute
that transitional package for ever :-)

> Another change in HDF4 distribution is of little general interest,
> but I'm reporting for all of you anyway: as you can be aware of or not,
> the NetCDF implementation embedded into HDF4 is NOT compatible with the
> plain NetCDF and that causes known breakages in packages which both
> use NetCDF and HDF4, such as GDAL. Therefore the new HDF4 package comes
> with an -alt flavor which can be used as an alternative implementation
> for those cases. In order to use the -alt flavor, you have to patch
> sources to link by -ldf-alt and -lmfhdf-alt instead of the regular
> libraries. Those are _very_ special cases and the resulting patch would
> be _very_ Debian specific, but I see no other ways to have both regular
> and alternative flavors cohexisting on the same box.
>
> Finally, this transition will start ASAP, after passing the usual NEW
> queue, so stay tuned.

I'm going to upload into experimental as first step, so that people
can do their own tests.