Re: [DebianGIS] qgis removal

Hi Hamish,

On Fri, 11. Apr 2008 at 22:28:07 -0700, Hamish wrote:
> > Another aspect is that Qgis has _periodically_ issues with g++ 4.3
> > and that is not more acceptable. Package needs to be checked
> > against gcc 4.3 every time before uploading. Apparently it seems
> > upstream has not used 4.3 at the time of 0.9.1 and before
> > and that causes some problems. I don't know what they are doing
> > for 0.9.2.
>
> as noted in the bug report, gcc 4.3 support has been fixed upstream for
> 0.9.2.   http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/changeset/8257
> unidiff:
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/changeset/8257?format=diff&new=8257

> probably that patch set could be applied by us to 0.9.1?

BTW this issue was brought up by someone building Fedora packages and
was fixed within a day or so.  See

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2008-March/003483.html.

I later found that there already was an ealier patch in the BTS.

> > IMHO qgis libraries need to be dropped and almost for sure moved
> > into a private area. I think Qgis is quite far from having something
> > people could consider as a stable API for third parties, so
> > it is pointless having a libqgis1 and libqgis1-dev package.
> > That would solve all soname issues periodically introduced into Qgis
> > because they would be considered _private_.

> also, I would be surprised to hear if anyone was using them separately.

Isn't the point of -dev packages to spare people, who don't develop to
have the dev files (and dependencies thereof) on their boxes?

Anyway, is there something the qgis developers can do to support debian
packaging?   AFAICS the remaining points are purely debian packaging
related.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-0

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden