Re: [DebianGIS] TileCache 2.0 debian packaging

* Paul Wise (pabs@debian.org) wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007 11:51 PM, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt@metacarta.com> wrote:
> > http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=tilecache
> >
> > However, ther'es no diff or orig since there are no diffs... I'm
> > assuming this is okay? There is a .tar.gz.
>
> This means you produced a Debian native package, which is meant for
> software that is specific to debian (like apt/dpkg and other similar
> things):

Just my 2c, but I find that it's useful to seperate the packaging from
the main releases.  After all, do you really want to do a whole new
stable release because some Debian-specific policy change required a
change in the debian/* files?  Or any number of other cases.

Simplest/easiest thing to do- just pull the debian/ directory out of the
official upstream tarball and create a diff.gz that just adds it back
in.  Could even be scripted pretty easily when pulling off of some
source repository.

On another note- I'm really happy to see tilecache getting into
Debian...  Now if we could just get the libboost-python folks to provide
both 2.4 and 2.5 versions of their bindings...

	Enjoy,

		Stephen
		(one of the Debian postgis maintainers)