Re: [DebianGIS] NetCDF version dep for GDAL -dev package

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 10:28:34PM +1300, Hamish wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The upcoming netcdf 3.6.2 package now in experimental* has renamed the
> libnetcdf3 package  to be  libnetcdf4**. (also netcdfg-dev  is renamed
> libnetcdf-dev but there is a transition package for that.)
>
> 'apt-cache  show' says  that libgdal1-1.4.0  (version 1.4.2-1~bpo40+1)
> depends on libnetcdf3 (>= 3.6.0+3.6.1-beta3); gdal's control file just
> asks for netcdfg-dev***.
>
> I'd like to backport the experimental package to Etch without breaking
> or rebuilding  GDAL and  everything that depends  on it.  Possible? Is
> there a way to have libgdal1 accept libnetcdf3 | libnetcdf4?

Definitively not if the netcdf soname changes (which is what I think).
Of course, you can build-dep on both libnetcdf3 or libnetcdf4 and build
against one of them. The two libraries can also coexist on the box, but the
whole toolchain would depend on one and only one of them. One could
estimate if the new libraries introduces major API or ABI changes,
which is what it is expected for a change in its soname.

> Any ideas  on a best  approach? What I am  really after is  the NetCDF
> fortran -dev stuff  to be built &  installed in a clean  way. My other
> idea  was  to  get the  Etch  package  via  deb-src  and make  my  own
> replacement package with the fortran stuff turned in.
>
> I can build NetCDF from source locally and install to /usr/local/, but
> then I wish to remove the  Debian packages to avoid cross pollination,
> which in turn tries to remove gdal (and everything that needs gdal).

The packages would be compatible at source level, I would use ad-hoc
versions to identify the experimental stuff anyway.