Re: [DebianGIS] Re: [Qgis-user] ECW Licence

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
I also find 'similar to GPL
and at no charge' is a quite rough definition of the spirit of FOSS. In
a few words, ECW almost-free license needs major revisions...

Francesco,

I would concur that the current public use license is not very precise.  I
believe that ERMapper uses "GPL-like" to mean any truely open source software
but of course that is not clearly stated, and for a legally cautious
organization like Debian it is likely not acceptable.

I would suggest taking the concerns directly to ERMapper.  For instance,
start a thread on the issue in the ECW SDK forum hosted by ERMapper.

OSGeo is also likely to need to do a legal analysis of the ECW SDK and
I'd appreciate if you let me know if you do start such a thread so I
can follow and participate in it as well.

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com