Re: [DebianGIS] Re: [Qgis-user] ECW Licence

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 10:03:48AM -0500, Steve Halasz wrote:

> I think it is important to note that ER Mapper describes this license as
> GPL-like, but it is not the GPL. Josh Triplet also says, "Furthermore,
> it should be noted that while their license seems to grant permission to
> build GPLed software based on their system, the GPL itself does *not*
> grant that permission (since this license is non-free), so any such
> GPLed software would need an exception clause to be distributable."

Well, GPL software can link non-GPL libraries (if the library does allow that,
and ECW does it). This is exactly the reason why GRASS (GPL) can use GDAL (MIT)
without problems. The issue I see is that so many softwares out there are not GPL
(but free anyway) and so cannot link ECW. I also find 'similar to GPL
and at no charge' is a quite rough definition of the spirit of FOSS. In
a few words, ECW almost-free license needs major revisions...