Re: [DebianGIS] Re: [GRASS-user] i.vpoints

David Pleydell wrote:

> One thing that is not clear in the documentation on CVS...
>
> ...do I need to uninstall GRASS and start again from scratch? I am
> almost certain that my installation of GRASS was not from CVS (someone
> else did that) but I do not have the source. If I have to uninstall
> fist what is the safest way to do that?

You do need the full source code to compile GRASS modules.

Actually, with the GRASS Extension Manager you can compile plugins, but
that's only in the CVS version ;)

You do not have to uninstall your existing GRASS to compile or run a
newer version.

e.g. on Debian/stable:

cd /usr/local/src/
tar xzf grass61-cvs-snapshot.tgz
cd grass61-cvs-snapshot

CFLAGS="-ggdb -march=pentium4 -Wall" ./configure \
    --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.4 \
    --with-motif --with-motif-includes=/usr/X11R6/include \
    --with-readline --with-cxx --with-glw --with-odbc --with-sqlite \
    --with-freetype --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 \
    --without-postgres \
    --with-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-includes=/usr/include/ffmpeg \
    2>&1 | tee config_log.txt

make

but no "make install".

run ./bin.i686-pc-linux-gnu/grass61 to start grass. I usually make a
grass61 symlink to this in my ~/bin/ dir.

you will need -dev packages installed,

6.1 Reqs, 31 Oct 2005

gcc              # for compile
libc6-dev        # for basics
flex             # for lex
bison            # for yacc
libncurses5-dev  # for curses
zlib1g-dev       # zlib
libreadline5-dev # readline
libjpeg62-dev  or  libjpeg-mmx-dev  # for JPEG support
libtiff4-dev     # for TIFF support
libpng12-dev     # for PNG support
tcl8.4-dev       # for TCL
tk8.4-dev        # for TK
#postgresql      # for Postgresql support
#postgresql-dev  # for Postgresql support
xlibmesa-gl-dev  # for OpenGL
#libstdc++5-3.3-dev # for glu-dev
xlibmesa-glu-dev # for OpenGL
unixodbc-dev     # for ODBC
fftw3-dev        # for FFT functions
lesstif2-dev     # for Motif
libfreetype6-dev # for Freetype Fonts
libgdal1-dev     # for GDAL
gdal-bin         # for GDAL (doesn't include libraries or gdal-config)
proj             # for PROJ.4
sqlite3          # for SQLite
libsqlite3-dev   # for SQLite
#libavcodec-dev  # for FFMPEG support
libavcodeccvs-dev# for FFMPEG support
libavutilcvs-dev # for FFMPEG support

make             # won't get far without this..
g++              # for r.terraflow

Hamish