[DebianGIS] Re: netcdf adoption?

[Paolo Cavallini]
> Hi all.
> netcdf is now 42 days old, and it bolcks gdal, and consequently
> mapserver etc.  Is it possible to unlock this situation? Do DDs see
> a way to reliably improve the situation?

Yes, this is annoying.  Looking at
<URL:http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=mapserver>, my
best guess is that some of the packages listed there are linked with
the old netcdf or gdal, and need to be rebuilt in sid.  I suspect the
easiest way to locate which packages this is, is to try to install all
the packages listed there in a sid chroot, and see if any of them are
uninstallable in sid.  Those packages then need a serious bug reported
against them to document the problem, and a rebuild to fix it.

A quick test told me that netcdf-perl have problems:

    netcdf-perl: Depends: netcdfg3 which is a virtual package.

There might be others as well.

> We poor debian users are stuck at gdal 1.2.6, whereas 1.3.1 is
> already 5 months old.

Eh, only those using etch are affected by this.  Those using sarge
will not get a new version no matter what we do, and those using sid
can already use it.