[DebianGIS] for the record

Hi Paulo,

while not subscribed to the OSGeo list, I did come across this post and
thought I should clear up some inaccuracies for y'all-- I'm not very
worried about attribution, but I don't want to take credit for others'
work.

> Also, I don't know Hamish in person (don't even know his surname,
> Moffat, IIRC)

The Hamish who works on GRASS GIS is me, M. Hamish Bowman of New
Zealand, nee New York. I'm a physical oceanographer and geophysical
engineer specializing in fjordic waters. I happen to be a long time
Debian user, but not a debian devel.

The Hamish more known in Debian circles is Hamish Moffat of Australia.
see  http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=hamish@debian.org

Sorry about any identity confusion, it is unintentional.

> He is a very active member in the gpsd and GRASS communities, has
> worked to integrate those two great tools. He wrote d.in.gpsdrive and
> v.in.gpsbabel in GRASS. Also a packager of sorts (work in Debian
> GIS).

1) v.in.gpsbabel was written by Claudio Porta and Lucio Davide Spano,
students of Computer Science at the University of Pisa, Italy. Their
work was commissioned by Faunalia Pontedera (PI). The module is based on
v.in.garmin, which was ported to GRASS 6 and substantially rewritten by
myself, but the original awk magic came from the GRASS 5 version written
by Andreas Lange.
2) It's d.out.gpsdrive. (technically)
3) My GRASS coding goes well past those two modules, I leave it to the
cvs changelog to give details.

regards,
Hamish (Bowman)