[DebianGIS] [DRAFT] Bits from the DebianGis sub-project

[ For submission to d-d-a, please contribute ]

Hi Debian fellows

after almost one year and half of work on the DebianGis activities [1],
it's time to look at what we achieved since the start, and what we need to do in
the next future as a project.

* What we have done?

We started with the idea of realizing a Custom Distribution, but during
this time we found that the very primary goal for us was packaging
and taking in shape the highest number of relevant programs and
libraries. The daily status page [2] reflects what we have to do about
that before next release. The (long) history of bugs fixed probably
speak better for many of us.

We succeded with packaging a good number of first-class programs and
kept in place an lightweight infrastructure [3] for managing tasks and open
issues as well as a common CVS repository [4] and a DebianGis repository [5].

We are now quite well-known among relevant upstreams and we are raising our
level of visibility as much as possible, also by direct contribution
to some projects when suitable.

* What need to do?

We surely needs more people who are able to work on packaging and
eventually contribute with continuity. So if anyone of you is
seriously interested in map hacking, please join us!

One major issue for our users is having up-to-date and in shape packages
with a more brief release cycle in respect with the mean (?) Debian one.
We think that an intensive stable backporting of the most relevant
packages would help on that regard. But currently very few has been done
for that, for lack of interested people and/or lack of time.

Some maintainers of GIS related libraries are not aware of us (!). This
report has been tought also for that. Please, join us and share your
on-going efforts. We achieved very good results by concertating major
transitions and goals.