Re: [DebianGIS] mapserver copyright stuff

On 2/8/06, Paul Wise <pabs3@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some people prefer that copyright and licence info be verbatim, but I
> think modifying the style is ok, as long as the information content
> stays the same. For example, in the new copyright file for mapserver
> (see attachment), I could remove all the extraneous commas, (c) symbols,
> merge copyright entries based on the years and remove all extraneous
> crud from the strptime.c, mapscript/php3/Makefile.in and so on
> copyrights & licences. Should I do this for mapserver?
>
> I've lumped together all the copyrights that have the same licences.
>
> Problems:
>
> md5.c/md5.h: uses the RSA Data Security implementation, which has an
> obnoxious advertising clause. Might be good to get upstream to replace
> it with the drop-in public domain implementation by Colin Plumb.

Paul,

If you can provide a pointer to a clean implementation, and submit
a bug against mapserver assigned to me, I'll try and take care of this.

> tile4ms.c: no copyright info, can we assume that it is "Copyright (c)
> 1996-2005 Regents of the University of Minnesota", even tho it says it
> is derived from shapelib by frank? Might be good to get upstream to fix
> this.

I will add a UoM copyright on this file myself, since there is no doubt
I can donate my copyright to the UoM.

> mapscript/tcl/win/ms-mingw.tar: contains a bunch of build stuff that
> looks like it was copied from various upstream projects. Dunno if this
> should be listed in debian/copyright.

I have no opinion.

> Lots of files have no copyright, particularly parts of the mapscript
> bindings. I'm assuming these are all "Copyright (c) 1996-2005 Regents of
> the University of Minnesota" since that is in the main README.

The license in the README is intended to apply to all files
in MapServer not otherwise marked, or not clearly derived from
some other package.

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com