Re: [DebianGIS] PostGIS status for debian unstable

Hi friends,

> if your <(Stephens)> interest is keen,
No question about it. For close to a year, postgis is not in debian in an
up to date way!!! It is not only his interest...

> anyway, i will do the promised improvements,
Why I, I, I? Make this group maintained, like the rest of the packages!
I'm willing to help. Stephen clearly is. Many others here will step in if
needed, I'm sure.

>> Just because upstream supports every version since the dawn of time
I use those versions... all of them...

>> is not a good reason to introduce every version into Debian. That doesn't
>> make sense in Debian when there's no prior PostGIS package in Debian.
>> Indeed, as I mentioned, Debian will *never* have a release which
>> includes PostgreSQL 8.0.
However, I do agree fully with Stephen!

>> I appriciate the sarcasm, however, don't expect me to let up because
>> you've decided that I'm somehow the enemy here.  PostGIS *and* Debian
>> are important to me and I'm not going to sacrifice one for the other.  A
>> maintainer needs to work *with* Debian, not against it.
And important to many others! I for one DID NOT appreciate that sarcasm.

Agian, the complexity of this package is trivial compared to postgresql,
gdal, grass mapserver, etc. Get it right, or share it now!

Regards,

Floris