Re: [DebianGIS] geos

Hi Alex,

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 00:29 +0200, alex bodnaru wrote:
> hi steve,
>
> while libgeos_c provides a solid c api, it is calling the changing c++
> source, and may still differ internally for each c++ version.

But if the c wrapper doesn't change it's interface, then the abi can
still be stable though, right? Will changes to the underlying c++ affect
this? If so, then there is no hope for geos or gdal.

> moreover, the c api has no usage other than an interface to libgeos.
>
> thus, i would suggest making, if possible, only one library
> (libgeos.so.*), with the c api source linked in, and one package, as before.

To be clear, the .so split has been done by upstream. I haven't yet
tried to learn how to split them apart (for gdal) or merge them back
together.

> this way, c++ programs will still call c++ interface, while newer c
> programs will only use the stable c api, and will tolerate every change
> in libgeos due to upgrades, etc.

This seems to be conflicting advice. How can progs using the c api
tolerate libgeos c++ abi changes if they are in the same .so? The soname
will have to be bumped with every release for the c++ api. The point of
having them separate is so that their sonames can increase
independently.

Best,
Steve