[DebianGIS] Re: Re: gdal

Hi Folks,

>Jon:
>Seems to me Its best for now to so ahead and put Steve's package with
my one >change on alioth CVS into unstable.
>This will break other packages qgis and mapserver.

Are those the only packages that will break? I might be mistaken, but
I think there are ocatve and R bindings for gdal, and most likely
others.
Is there an easy way to find out which packages are depending on gdal
(m.i. C++ ABI)?

> Frank:
> Even 1.2.0 to 1.2.1 are likey to be ABI incompatible at the
> C++ level.
Sad but very true in many applications, a fact I overlooked in my
years ago and broke many many applications in the process.

Is there a relatively stable version (most bugs fixed ;-) and 'fully
functional' as well) that could serve as the officia debianl ' mostly'
stable version and at the same time can be used to compile
grass/qgis/mapserver etc?

In that case Frank can satisfy his customers ad lib. and the packages
could ultimatly reach their final nirvana (stable ;-) ) .  After  a
couple of months (when Frank reaches a real version update), all
packages could get their own packaged version update again.

With my personal bias:
It is very nice to be bleeding edge on our private machines, however
some people need a 'semi' stable environment on their servers. As a
side effect of gis availability on debian, allthough I protested
vehemently, my production environment will be fedora (which also means
I have to compile some tools from source since they are not available
as rpm... <sigh>).

So bottomline:
Is it possible to 'freeze' gdal at this time to a certain version and
get debian on GIS ? It seems that Gdal is [one of the core |  THE]
package for debianGIS.

Best regards,

Floris