Re: [DebianGIS] Re: gdal

Hi Jon,
At 18:18, lunedì 19 dicembre 2005, Jon Saints has probably written:
> Seems to me Its best for now to so ahead and put Steve's package with my
> one change on alioth CVS into unstable.
great thing!
> This will break other packages qgis
> and mapserver.  But as of my tests last night neither package was
> installable any way so our interference will be minimal.
currently it is possible to install either mapserver or qgis, taking them from
unstable; it is not possible to install both, because they depend on
conflicting version of gdal they depend on.
> At least in the long run
this is scaring; in my view, it would be important to be back on businness
ASAP; it is being very difficult to work with freegis in debian during the
last few months
> we will have gdal 1.3.1 in unstable that we can use to build new
> mapserver and qgis packages.
do you forecast major problem with this, or it is juast a rebuilding of
packages?
>  Once we have this version in unstable I will begin looking into making a
> separate C++ library package that wont break qgis and mapserver with
> updates.
>
>  Has anyone researched how other distrobutions are dealing with this issue?
It seems that in other distibutions things are going more smoothly, but I do
not know why.
Thanks for your work.
pc
--