Re: [DebianGIS] Uploaded qgis 0.7.3-0.dgis.unstable.1 (source i386) to debian-gis

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:49:15PM +1300, Hamish wrote:
> I used "sarge" and not "stable" as I think that is more specific. I
> don't think it very probable that someone will still have a package as
> old as these installed when etch is released, but the probablity is
> still finite. It's the naming scheme security team uses...

Just for notice

sarge > etch

but

stable < testing < unstable

under lessicographic order, of course.

That motivates my choice of a nickname-independent naming scheme. Security
team uses the nick scheme because, at release time, generally the
testing/unstable debian version is already greater. This could not be
the case for dgis, where someone could be motivated to dist-upgrade
using the dgis archive before main release. We need to definitively
coordinate 2 different archives and that's a naming scheme that
allows that. That said your specific use of 'sarge' should not
break things currently due to lack of 'etch' somewhere. Just
incidentally anyway, if release name was 'bo' things would be different :)