Re: [DebianGIS] Re: PostGIS status

hi,

postgis is a major "contribution" for postgresql, and it currently
supports many postgresql versions, from 7.2 onwards, on linux and other
platforms.

postgis naturally evolves at other pace than postgresql, thus it cannot
be packed with postgresql and still be uptodate.

postgis evolution is to free itself from the main postgresql sources,
and this was stressed especially since i worked with them for the debian
support.

however, at the binary level, postgresql multicluster should have not
move it's files from /usr/lib/postgresql/[lib|bin] to
/usr/lib/postgresql/{version}/[lib|bin] leaving behind contributing
libraries and binaries. existance of those files should have stopped
postgresql-common installation, or postinst should have at least
provided symlinks to those files in the new location. just think about
non debian contributions.

for now, postgis package has integrated totally the multicluster
environment in debian, and work is being finnished to integrate several
postgis versions at the same time.

packages may be supplied on demand for testing purpose.

alex