Re: [DebianGIS] Re: mapserver libcurl3-dev build depend

On 10/15/05, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> [Jon Saints]
> > We now have to choose either libcurl3-openssl-dev or
> > libcurl3-gnutls-dev to build mapserver. Any thoughts?
> >
> > openssl is not GPL compatible.
>
> Personally, I prefer GPL software to non-GPL software.  As mapserver
> has a BSD-type license (GPL compatible, as far as I can see), I guess
> it does not matter which we choose.  I would go with the gnutls
> version first, and move the the openssl version if gnutls do not work.
>
> On the other hand, it is always a good idea to use the same version as
> upstream, and I suspect they are using openssl.

Folks,

As far as I know TLS and SSL are for secure http connections.
Normal MapServer configurations use curl to access public
WMS, and WFS servers and would not require either.  I think
that SSL connections would be more common than TLS (which
I haven't actually run into in use) but if there is any packaging
complication depending on the SSL version, then I would suggest
just using the TLS version.

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com