Re: [Pkg-grass-general] Re: postgis on debian

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 22:43 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I notice that the postgis package is no longer in the Debian NEW list.
> As it didn't appear in the Debian archive either, I suspect it was
> rejected.  Did anyone get a rejection mail?  What is missing to get
> the package accepted into Debian?

Hi Jochen,
I see that postgis is in the new queue since a while
http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html.
(that page say also that it's an alpha package instead i386).

However since last time I joined efforts with Alex Bodnaru who worked
independently to its own package.
His work is very good and solved the building process by overriding some
variables of the original makefiles in rules file.
So very little code from postgresql code needs to be incorporated in
package source and without any complicated diff to be maintained, while
preserving basically the original building process.
We worked together and starting from his package we added docs, man
pages, scripts and fixed some subtle bug.
Even better, now upstream postgis is going to include our work and give
us write access to cvs.
So we decided to submit this package as a group.

What should be done to proceed in that direction?

Also, we changed package name to better adapt to different postgresql
versions. pkg postgis is obsolete and should be replaced by:
      * libpostgis1-pg74 (name is auto-generated according to
        postresql-dev installed)
      * libpostgis-doc
      * libpostgisjava

I included a "Replace: postgis" tag in control, are there different or
better ways?

Regards,
Roberto

--