Re: [Pkg-grass-general] Should JUMP be part of Debian-gis?

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:49:37AM +0100, Wolfgang Baer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> beside JUMP there are several GIS projects in java out there.
>
> There is a general problem with Java software and debian because
> of the not yet full featured Swing implementations in the classpath
> derived free vm's. I don't know how many people are interested to
> java gis software in debian gis.
>
> I am working mainly with java for my research and
> would be happy to see also java stuff in debian gis.
>
> If there is interest I can take some time and prepare a summary of
> several java gis projects and post it here on the list. This might
> give people an overview and can help to make priorities.
>
> I am also interested in helping out with java programs in debian gis.
> But I am not a DD and have not yet experience in packaging.

I am working quite often with deegree with is the first choice if
you want to build spatial data infrastructure with more than just a
WMS and perhaps a basic WFS.

Thus I am interested to get java GIS tools into debian as well. The
problem is that I am not so experienced with Java that I feel
competent to judge about the lacks into the GNU classpath project
that have to be filled to make deegree or other java GIS tools available
in debian main.

Since I am in contact with the deegree developers I could probably
even achieve changes in deegree rather easily if necessary but as I
said I would need help of some experienced java programmer.
Something similar holds for jump (which is indeed a great tool!).

Furthermore I could probably help with packaging the stuff.

Many greetings,

	Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/