Re: [Pkg-grass-general] New gdal package

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 04:52, Silke Reimer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:26:06PM -0500, Steve Halasz wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 13:31, Silke Reimer wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Is there a reason why libgrass requires grass to be installed?
> >
> > Probably not :)
>
> So it would be cool if this could be changed in the final version of
> grass 5.7 which will be uploaded to the debian archives.

I have changed this in my latest version.

> BTW: I did also prepare a new libgdal-grass package [1]. Can
> somebody verify that is does work correctly with qgis?

I tested this before and with the patch I sent it worked fine with qgis.
I will test it again with this new package, but probably not until
Monday.

> If so I think
> this package is ready for debian as soon as grass 5.7. is in the
> debian archives. Do you have already an idea when this will be?

Hopefully soon. Here are the remaining major issues:

1. libgrass soname and package names. There has been some discussion
about this on the list, but I haven't digested it yet. Not sure if
changes are required upstream. Maybe they have already been made in
grass CVS.

2. I have a bug filed against the geos package that says the doc package
should be built using the binary-indep target in debian/rules. I suspect
this is true of grass-doc too, but I haven't figured out exactly how to
do it yet.

3. Provide READMEs/Debconf screens with upgrade information.

When these are squared away, it will be ready in my opinion.

> Do you plan to get grass 5.7. into debian or do you want to
> wait until debian 6.0 beta has benn released?

I am aiming to get grass 5.7.0 into debain ASAP. I will look at
packaging/testing cvs snapshots sometime, but that is of secondary
importance I feel. When 6.0 beta is released I think it would be worth
switching to trying to get that packaged for debian. But hopefully 5.7
will get in before that happens.

Steve