Re: [Pkg-grass-general] grass: only one man page

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 04:18, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:49:40AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > $ dlocate -man grass5.7
> > 1 grass57
> > $ dlocate -man libgrass5.7
> > $ apt-cache policy libgrass5.7
> >  *** 5.7.0-4 0
> >         500 http://bullhorn.org unstable/main Packages
> > Maybe man pages can be generated dynamically upon installation, saving
> > package size.  But they should still be in the file list I suppose.
> >

> Man pages are mandatory in any debian package. They must be present
> in the package or generated in postinst script at least.
> The weird thing is that on the basis of a previous thread, they should
> already be present in source form within the package. Maybe the package
> is missing some important dependency which does not allow a proper
> generation from the html doc.

Since lintian doesn't complain about these I was going to let it slide
for now :-) They only work from within the grass environment so I
thought it might be reasonable to say they aren't executable binaries in
the traditional Debian sense.

I believe the problem is that the man page generation was added in cvs
after the release of 5.7.0. It looks like the man generation stuff is
tarred and gzipped in the 'notyetuploaded' folder. Have to see if this
is workable or if a patch can be created from cvs changes.

> > P.S.,
> > $ diff3 /usr/share/doc/*grass5.7*/changelog.gz; echo $?
> > 0. i.e., all the same; tiny, and dated 2002 too. No README.debian too.
> >

> That's definitively not a good thing.

I'll look into this.

Steve